Running has always been one of the most popular sports among the people. No matter which areas or places we are talking about, here and there, athletics are fond of running. While running one common problem, runners frequently feel, and that is front ankle pain, which is also known as anterior ankle pain. This front ankle pain running might be acute pain or chronic pain.
When a runner senses sudden trouble in the anterior area of the foot, that is acute pain. And when the pain grows gradually but in a significant manner that is called chronic pain.
Pain in front of ankle when flexing, there might be other essential parts of the body like, hips, legs are associated, but ankle pain is the most prominent problem. It can happen during running or after the running session. Moreover, when with every step body weight create tension on the ankle, this kind of situation can occur.
If you are into running for a workout session or if you are a professional athlete, then you may often face this circumstance. In this post, we are going to publish six reasons why front ankle pain running happens, symptoms of those, and what might cure the problem. Stick with us till the end.
6 Common Reasons for front ankle pain running
Recurrent Ankle Inconstancy
Recurrent Ankle Inconstancy is the kind of situation where because of recurring physical activities, put pressure in the particular outside area of the ankle. In this scenario, the victim might feel chronic pain. This instability of the ankle is mostly the result of ankle injuries that not healed perfectly and becomes a pain point for the sufferer.
What are the symptoms then?
- The patient feels the pain that transpires recurrently.
- Feel of the tenderness of the particular spot.
- Somewhat or significant swelling of the ankle can take place.
- Increasing the flexibility of the patient by providing physical therapy.
- Using ankle support to ensure the stability of the feet and ankle.
- Using ice to reduce swelling and pain.
- Taking prescribed medicine from the orthopedist.
Ankle strain is the usual reason that sometimes happens to the runner. When the tendon inside, which is the connector of the muscle and bone, get torn apart or stretched. The patient feels severe front ankle pain while running. It happens most likely during the running because of straining.
- Muscle contradiction that makes the patient feel discomfort. This muscle spasm is the known name of Charley horse.
- In most cases, the patient feels excessive pain due to torn tendons.
- When moving, the ankle person might face difficulty.
- Swelling, cramping, and stiffness are frequent.
- In this situation, the patient may have to wait at least two months with the proper consultation of the doctor.
- Need to take prescribed medication.
- Using ankle support or crutches.
This article may solve the problem
Front ankle pain feels in the first place for various reasons. Among them, impingement is one of the most painful ones. Ankle Impingement happens when the tissues of the ankle are pinched. The front of the ankle is connected with muscles and bones. When ankle bent, this impingement significantly may cause acute ankle pain running no swelling.
- Stiffness on the front ankle.
- It feels too much discomfort for the patients to do any movement of the foot.
- Because of the impingement mobility can be reduced.
- Physical therapy can reduce this problem for the patient gradually.
- Entirely bed rest usually recommended.
- Coldwater or ice can reduce swelling and pain.
Tendinitis is a similar kind of situation like chronic ankle pain. Tendinitis is also an issue regarding the tendon of the ankle. But in this case, it gets inflamed. Many runners often feel this in their feet. Sometimes because of wearing the wrong size of shoes or overrunning, it transpires.
- Patients feel pain in their ankle.
- There might be swelling around the ankle zone.
- Feels distressed for bending foot up and down.
- In this situation, giving the foot sufficient rest and spending time in the home can likely heal the area.
- Using ice packs in the affected region can alleviate the swelling.
- For pain, a painkiller is useful.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is the syndrome that causes compression of the nerve of the foot. Symptoms are acute sometimes. Arthritis patients seldom suffer from this syndrome. The pain usually feels in the front of the foot or inside of the ankle.
- In this syndrome, you sometimes may feel nothing at the ankle side area.
- Sometimes it may feel like burning inside.
- Pain is also a symptom of this syndrome.
- Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) can reduce pain.
- Must use ankle supporting braces to resist the movement of the foot.
- Particular physiotherapy can increase the mobility of the foot.
- A prescribed steroid injection may assist in decreasing the swelling.
When somewhere in the bone got hit by something, it can happen. Most of the time, due to unintentional accidents, bone gets cracked, and this is called a fracture. When ankle bone has these fractures, it produces excessive pain in the front ankle space.
- It causes severe pain in the ankle area.
- In the ankle zone, there might be swelling as well.
- It feels tough to move the foot even a bit.
- There is no substitute for resting to get rid of the pain.
- Immediately consulting with a specialized doctor can reduce severe damage.
- Regular use of ice, cold water in the affected area can alleviate the swelling.
Anterior Shin Splints
Anterior shin splint is a running injury that occurs when excessive stress gives patients shinbone hard time. Along with the shinbone, it also affects the connectives tissues that attach the muscles as well. In many cases, runners give pressure in their ankle area with their frequent movement of feet and become a victim of Shin Splints.
- The swelling of the shinbone.
- Frequent pain may appear in the front ankle area.
- Discomfort in the affected region.
- Proper consumption of calcium and vitamin D can accelerate the healing process.
- Use proper insoles for the shoes to provide adequate comfort to the foot.
- Take proper rest and prescribed painkillers to reduce the pain.
Nobody in this world can claim that when you are going to feel unusual pain. But it is the accepted fact that, if you are a runner, then in many situations, you may face problems like front ankle pain. So, be cautious, do proper stretching before taking a big run-up, and keep this ankle pain far away from you.