One of the most essential considerations when you are out traveling or especially hiking , is what you are going to carry along with you on the trip. Needless to say, you’ll need to be as light as possible while still carrying all the bare essentials and for this reason, you need to make sure you have something that is light but also has sufficient space and compartments to store and organize all your tools and accessories that you need on your travels. For this reason, we will be going over the Ultimate Direction AK Mountain Vest 3.0 a backpack vest that you can wear both on your back on in front. Coming in at two different color sets, this might be the choice of gear you decide to take on your next hike and we’ll be looking deeply into it to figure out where it stands.
For this reason, we will be going over the Ultimate Direction AK Mountain Vest 3.0, a backpack vest that you can wear both on your back on in front. Coming in at two different color sets, this might be the choice of gear you decide to take on your next hike and we’ll be looking deeply into it to figure out where it stands.
Ultimate DirectionVest Features
The bottle holders on two sides of the vest backpack come along with two bottles. They are about half a liter each and are a good size and light enough to carry water in. The useful thing about the bottle holder is that it can also be tightened to carry even smaller items inside it. According to Ultimate Direction, the manufacturer, you can tighten it enough to safely store even your phone and cameras. That is pretty handy! This also means that you can cut down on the weight by taking one less bottle and still be able to put the holster to good use!
- For better leverage, there are two attachment straps on the back that will let you tighten how strong the connection is between the two different sides of the vest. This will both help keep the backpack even more stable but also helps you gain more leverage with the backpack, something that might be important if you have a considerable amount of weight on it.
- The inner area of the front of the ultimate direction marathon vest has a soft and flexible mesh that weighs in only at 150g and it is going to be very comfortable. This will give you a soft cushion that will help keep your back comfortable in the fact of heavy loads in the bag but given the lack of space in the bag, you could only keep so much in it anyway.
- The bag itself has one primary compartment where you keep the bulk of your items and then a few smaller sections here and there to store the essentials. It’s not a lot of space by any means but given that you won’t be carrying much in terms of clothes or food, it should be plenty to carry other things.
- It is a really lightweight and soft backpack to carry all your essentials in. It isn’t particularly fancy and does not have any added weight due to the addition of accessories or anything of that type. The minimalist design helps in maintaining a low weight and still somewhat keeps the backpack durable and able to support a considerable amount of weight on it.
- The fact that it can be worn like a vest lets you as a user get more leverage over how you carry the backpack. If you need extra leverage, tightening the straps at the back will make things tighter and let you carry the load a bit easier.
- One big advantage of this bag is that it does let you choose how much capacity you want to order in so you can choose how much storage you want. It only comes in two sizes; large and small and although those are quite arbitrary and not an indication of actual storage numbers, the large bag is considerably bigger.
- The design of the bag is such that it also puts the weight of your water bottles on the back instead of the side, something that does sometimes create issues when you want to walk somewhere. It’s not a big addition of weight to your back and it can easily handle the added weight while keeping you balanced horizontally.
- The small bag is actually really small in size! Like, I am quite sure people who will want to avoid the big one will opt for the smaller one but ideally, you should have more space to carry all the necessary goods that one might need on the travels. It has a lot of support features but not being able to take much weight somewhat renders it irrelevant!
- The bag size is relatively small compared to the bottles it comes with and a lot of people, especially users of the smaller size, complained that carrying both bottles tended to seriously limit movement. Movement is essential in any trek and this is definitely not something you want in a vest style backpack too, because of how they are designed to wear as opposed to just carry on your back.
Q.1: What chest size will this bag fit?
Answer: The larger bag is a good fit for people with chest size between 42 and 46 whereas the smaller one is going to fit people between 34 and 38. If you are somewhere in between, you will want to opt for the bigger size but I must mention that it won’t be the most comfortable fit you can get.
Q.2: What size of bottles will fit in the holders?
Answer: You’ll want to avoid using bottles more than half a liter in capacity. There are a few bottles that are thin and long and although they will fit in quite nicely, there is a risk that due to being taller, the weight at the top might force it to tilt and fall off unless tightly packed in. They are also not ideal for balance.
So there you go, this Ultimate Direction Vest an overview of a pretty nifty and unique backpack for hikers and travelers. Check it out properly and see if the size and design are going to be suitable for you to merit a purchase. It definitely has its uses!